Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Help someone during these challenging times


The current economic tailspin is approaching frightening proportions in so many ways. In particular, the effect it is having on young people is particularly disturbing especially considering the many homeless students who are literally running the streets trying to survive.

Every one of us has needed a helping hand in some fashion when we were younger. And I still remember those who helped me more than 40 years ago when my own situation was literally over the edge. My folks had split up, my mom continued to ride a reckless path of alcohol and at the age of 15, I suddenly found myself trying to survive.

I wasn’t homeless, but for a period of my life I was on the edge. I survived the challenge only because there were a few adults who spotted a wayward kid and offered a helping hand during some confusing and mind-boggling times.

So when I see or hear of kids wandering aimlessly through life needing help, it tends to humble me while also reminding me that most of these young people are good kids who simply need a helping hand.

At least three instances of adults helping young people come to mind in the past few months. In each case, members of Farmers Insurance were involved in providing not only monetary assistance but basic necessities such as food, clothing and an assortment of health good such as toothbrushes and toothpaste.

Two schools in Salt Lake City were helped by the throng of good people. One was Granite High School while the other was Woodrow Wilson Elementary. Still one other was Whitney Elementary in Las Vegas, where the school has a high percentage of homeless young people.

In the case of Whitney, the local chapter of the sheet metal workers union jumped in to help by providing a good breakfast for more than 600 young people. And in the case of each school, backpacks full of basic need material were given.

In Northern Utah and Southern Nevada, those involved left the schools at the end of the day feeling good about themselves because they took time out of their day to help innocent young people who have been thrust into needy situations for whatever reason.

Many of the kids are homeless. Then, some who are actually living under a roof are in a home without utilities let alone guidance from an adult. In any instance, they are living a life of terrible challenges.

You can bet that many of the individuals who help young people now have to stop to wipe away the tears as the youngsters thank them for their efforts. The strongest individuals on earth will melt when a young person looks into their eyes to say thank you.

The key to homeless kids nowadays is that they don’t ask for help. You generally won’t find them standing on street corners with signs in their hands begging for help. Kids simply don’t seem to know how to ask for help.

In fact, I didn’t know how to ask either. It took someone coming to my aid and it was at that time that I accepted their help. But I couldn’t ask for help for whatever reason apparently because I felt it was my job to deal with my own challenges even though I was only 15 at the time.

I was embarrassed by my plight although I didn’t need to be. I just needed someone to pick me up by the bootstraps and given a little guidance during a very precarious time in my life. Truth-be-known, I call the people who helped me several times a month just to say hello.

I assure you there are areas nearby where poor kids only want a chance – and that’s something you can provide.
You just need to spot the void and provide hope along with compassion.

Get involved in some fashion whether it is through providing a meal most kids don’t receive on a regular basis; or simply give them a backpack with the essentials needed to survive nowadays.

Or better yet, put a smile on your face and pat them on the back while combining the two with a voice of reassurance. Trust me when I tell you that those same students will never when you took time out of your life to help them.

And then, too, there is the fact at you’ll be a better person for the act of kindness.

Henry Ward Beecher once said “Every charitable act is a stepping stone to heaven.”

It’s true. Step up during these challenging times and help others especially young people who will never forget what you once did for them.

Mike Henle is a Las Vegas based freelance writer and the author of “Through the Darkness: One Man’s Fight to Overcome Epilepsy.” He can be reached via email at mhenle@aol.com or through his web site www.mikehenle.com.

No comments: